Ionising Radiations
Why do I need a Radiation Protection Adviser?
Non-Ionising Radiations - click here
Because the Ionising Radiations Regulations say you do! the law is very clear on this issue.

All employers that use ionising radiations are required to consult with an RPA to discuss radiation safety. Almost all will need to appoint an RPA to give them the advice necessary to fully comply with the

The RPA must hold a valid certificate of competence to practice from a certificating body and be suitable to advise you in your specific area of work.

Advise the employer as to the precise requirements of the Regulations;

Assist in the production of risk assessments prior to starting work with ionising radiation;

Audit local procedures and documentation to check they are adequate;

Assist in the production of, or improvement to, the necessary documentation;

Assist the employer in implementing appropriate work practices;

Liaise with other professionals regarding the introduction of new equipment, premises or uses of ionising radiation.

Advise about disposals of radioactive sources and X-Ray equipment
What are the key Regulations?

Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17)
Salient points are:

Users of ionising radiation must notify, register or obtain consent from the Health & Safety Executive depending on the type of work they do and if they work in areas with elevated levels of radon;

There must be a formal radiation risk assessment of all uses of ionising radiation this is seen as a key element of the Regulations;

Employers must ensure that employees radiation doses are as low as reasonably practicable, and in any case within certain dose limits;

Personal protective equipment that is fit for purpose must be used when appropriate;

Controls & safety devices must be subject to regular maintenance & testing, with full records being kept;

Contingency plans must be in place for all reasonably foreseeable accidents;

Most radiation employers need to consullt and appoint a suitable Radiation Protection Adviser, who must hold a certificate of competence from a certificating body to practice and have suitable experience to be able to advise the employer;

Employees must have appropriate information, instruction and training to enable them to do their job safely;

Employers must co-operate if employees of more than one employer work in a particular site;

Areas where radiation doses are potentially more hazardous must be demarcated and subject to certain controls and monitoring;

Local rules are required for those who work in those designated areas, and they may need the appointment of a Radiation Protection Supervisor to ensure local compliance with the Regulations;

Some employees may need to be monitored for their radiation dose or to be 'classified' if they may receive higher doses;

Overexposures of staff must be notified to the Health & Safety Executive;

Sealed radioactive sources must be subject to regular leak testing;

Radioactive substances must be kept, moved, stored safely and adequately accounted for;

Manufacturers and installers of equipment must ensure it is subject to a critical examination of its function and safety, with regular QA thereafter;

Employees have general duties to work safely.
yourrpa001007.jpg yourrpa001006.jpg yourrpa001004.jpg yourrpa001002.jpg yourrpa001001.jpg
Dental Info
About Us