Non-Ionising Radiations
Why do I need a Non-Ionising Radiation Protection Adviser?
The employer using high output NIR sources may well find the process of compliance with the Regulations easier if they have taken advice from an appropriately qualified expert in these radiations.
What are the key Regulations?
What is the role of the NIRPA?
Unlike the Regulations associated with ionising radiations, these Regulations are notable for their lack of detail
Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974
Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations
Control of Artificial Optical Radiation at Work Regulations 2010

Salient points are:
It is not a formal legal requirement for users of artificial optical radiations such as UV, visible and/or laser sources, or electromagnetic radiations to have an NIRPA.

Nevertheless, the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) will expect the employer to have made a prior risk assessment of the particular activities they will be engaged in, and have systems of control, safety and audit in place.

Measurements may be needed to fully assess the safety implications of the use of the sources, and the measurements technqiues may be complex for inexperienced personnel.
Advise the employer as to the precise requirements of the Acts and Regulations;

Assist in the production of risk assessments and systems of work prior to starting work with optical radiations or electromagnetic fields;

Audit local procedures and documentation to check they are adequate;

Assist in the production of, or improvement to, the necessary documentation;

Assist the employer in implementing appropriate work practices;

Liaise with other professionals regarding the introduction of new equipment, premises or uses of ultraviolet or EM radiation.
yourrpa001007.jpg yourrpa001006.jpg yourrpa001004.jpg yourrpa001002.jpg yourrpa001001.jpg
Dental Info
About Us